vital-oxide-page-header.jpg

Vital Oxide: The Safe, Fast and Efficient Way to Kill Germs

It seems like every other day there’s a new story about diseases or bacteria causing issues. From E. coli outbreaks to measles and flu bugs spreading, germs are everywhere and can cause a number of serious health issues in all ages. Fortunately, a simple solution can kill 99.999% of germs on contact – Vital Oxide. Used for decades in water treatment and other applications, Vital Oxide is one of our top-selling detergents to sanitize and disinfect in many different settings. It is frequently applied using a sprayer and evaporates quickly to leave only common table salt behind. It’s also safe to use in confined spaces or high-traffic areas, like classrooms and offices.

Vital Oxide is also used by hospitals and food preparation facilities, where thorough disinfection is critical. It is easy to use, and requires no rinsing, so it can be quickly applied to make surfaces safe for use. Plus, Vital Oxide can be used on nearly any surface – including fabrics and carpets – and penetrates to clean porous surfaces like wood and concrete.

Chemically, Vital Oxide attaches to molecules and causes oxidation, breaking down cell walls and permanently destroying bacteria, viruses and molds. This is also what makes Vital Oxide a great deodorizing treatment – it attaches to the particles that cause odors and eliminates them, getting rid of foul smells forever.

Vital Oxide FAQs

Is chlorine dioxide some kind of bleach?

No. While chlorine dioxide has chlorine in its name, its chemistry is very different from the corrosive chemistry of chlorine bleach. The primary differences are that chlorine dioxide is less caustic, safer, and gentler than bleach and many other antiseptics and antimicrobials, plus it remains effective under organic load. Further, chlorine bleach produces harmful by-products to the environment, including trihalomethanes (THM) and haloacetic acids (HAAS). Vital Oxide breaks down to a simple salt, producing no harmful by-products.

What does it mean that a disinfectant product is "green"?


The United Stated Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is currently reviewing the way third parties will be able to carry “green” claims on all disinfectant labels. EPA policy at this point does not allow “green” claims to be placed directly on any disinfectant product’s label. While Vital Oxide is mild on skin, hard surfaces, and fabric, and will certainly qualify for “green status” when the designation is allowed, we cannot advertise this claim until it is permitted by the EPA. Vital Oxide is also a powerful disinfectant able to kill some of the toughest and most resistant forms of bacteria and mold. The chemical composition of Vital Oxide is such that it has a minimal impact on the environment and contains no ozone harming volatile compounds (VOC)

What is the difference between a cleaner and a disinfectant?


Cleaners are not registered with the EPA and cannot make public health claims on their label such as killing germs or having any anti-microbial action.

What does "no rinse required on food contact surface" mean?

“No rinse required on food contact surfaces” is a safety rating given by NSF International (previously the National Sanitation Foundation).  The NSF testing guidelines are a continuation of the USDA product approval and listing program, including the FDA 21.  Vital Oxide is rated “no rise required on food contact surfaces” category D2, meaning Vital Oxide is approved for use in commercial or residential kitchens to control bacteria, viruses, and mold without the need to wash/rinse the area with water after Vital Oxide is applied. 

What are the advantages of using sprayers and offers to disperse Vital Oxide?

The quickest way to disinfect a hospital room, an entire basement, or a school gym is by using a fogger or electrostatic sprayer that can create a fine mist to treat objects, walls, floors, and ceilings in a matter of just a few minutes. Electrostatic sprayers and foggers can dramatically cut the time to disinfect large areas. Vital Oxide is one of the few disinfectants that can be dispersed in this manner because Vital Oxide is non-corrosive to treated surfaces and objects.

With so many disinfectants, why should I choose Vital Oxide?

The easiest way to answer this question is simply, not all disinfectants are created equal. When evaluating and comparing disinfectant products, take a close look at their core ingredients. Vital Oxide uses a unique chemical compound called chlorine dioxide. While other competitors and manufacturers have attempted to copy and produce a form of stabilized chlorine dioxide similar to Vital Oxide, our revolutionary formula is simply unequaled. Chlorine dioxide has been used during Anthrax attacks, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, to purify drinking water, and most recently to kill MRSA in schools and hospitals. Also consider carefully what kind of chemicals you want around your children, employees, patients, students, and close family members. Most disinfectants and mold removers on the market are extremely toxic, but Vital Oxide gives you peace of mind that you are using an effective product that does not come with alarming safety warnings and precautions.

Can I clean and disinfect at the same time?

In some cases, you can clean and disinfect at the same time, but this depends on how dirty the surfaces you are cleaning/disinfecting are—the dirtier the surface the less effective the disinfectant. Disinfectants need to contact the area to disinfect and cannot do this effectively with a barrier of dirt or grime in the way. Once the dirt has been wiped away the disinfectant can get to work. Under lightly soiled conditions, you can clean and disinfect in the same step with just Vital Oxide. (NOTE: EPA requires all disinfectants carry the following label direction: “For heavily soiled areas, a pre-cleaning step is required.”)

Does Vital Oxide contain VOCs?

No. Vital Oxide does not contain volatile organic compounds.